Saturday, July 08, 2006

Neil Young Jumps The Shark

I heard Neil Young's latest effort last week; protest songs about M. Bush. Sheesh.

I got a chuckle out of the last cut, it's a hundred voice choir singing 'America The Beautiful'. Talk about appropreating a voice. It's a powerful song regardless of who sings it, but the notion that left-overs from the hippy continuum can sing it and somehow claim the moral high ground is ironic.

It's mixed with voice over clips of Bush. Paul Simon did the same thing with Silent Night, mixing in Walter Cronkite (I think) reading the news of Vietnam casualties. The cut would be infinately more powerful with clips of Iranian 'President' Mahmoud Ahmadinejad calling for the destruction of Israel.

There's a reason Neil's giving this one away free on the internet. Amazon.com has ninety 'used' ones aleady.

Think I'll put on his buddy Dave Crosby's, 'I almost Cut My Hair', then go speak truth to power (man).

Update: The Left-Overs would be a good name for an aging hippie band.

4 Comments:

At 3:33 AM, Blogger Temujin said...

I'm such a fan of Young's music, but man oh man I wish he'd just stick to Cinnamon Girl and Sugar Mountain, instead of bloviating about politics.

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Blair said...

Agreed. The Stills Young Band - Long May You Run - is still my favorite LP.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger adamz said...

You guys need to wake up and smell the Starbucks. Recognize that if Neil were simply rehashing Sugar Mountain and Cinnamon Girl -- as great as those songs are -- he would just be another oldies act cranking out 30-year-old songs. What makes him great and relevant and cutting edge is that he is constantly creating new music and pushing new frontiers. Do you wish he had just stopped after Harvest in 1972? We would all be denied a trove of great music and he wouldn't be ranked with Dylan as the greatest songwriter of the last 40 years.

The boys are on tour now as the conscience of several generations, reminding us that, once again, we are stuck in a quagmire of a war and our leaders are not to be trusted.

Adam Zagoria
http://zagsblog/blogspot.com/

Sit at home and watch VH1 if all you want is the golden oldies. Neil wouldn't want

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Blair said...

1) I don’t sit around Starbucks, I’m a ‘Second Cup’ man.

2)I yield to no one my affection for ‘the boys’. I have every LP and most of the CD’s they ever made.

3)My objection to Neil’s CD is the lyrics. ‘Let’s impeach the president’ isn’t a lyric; It’s Howard Dean’s opening remarks at the DNC. I would also debate the effort as being ‘cutting edge’. As I noted in my post, Paul Simon’s been there, done that.

4)These are lyrics;
"Out on the road tonight I saw a deadhead sticker on a Cadillac.
"A little voice inside my head said don’t look back, you can never look back.

5)When the boys of summer played here last Saturday night, ‘America The Beautiful’ had video of Bush opposing a digital counter, tracking American soldiers killed in Iraq. Good theatrics and tragic if you view war one dimensionally and see it as nothing more than a sacrifice of lives. I don’t see this war that way.

6) I don’t view this as ‘Bush’s war’, I view it as Al Qaida’s war. In that context I would include digital counters for the people who died in the World Trade Center, the Bali nightclub Madrid, the London subway, the Russian School…. You have a remarkable choice.

7)I think it’s unfortunate, but Neil is missing a bigger picture. I hope the view is naive not dishonest.

8)Living With War is, "I Almost Cut My Hair" the musical. It belongs in the Nixon Library.

9)I agree, you are stuck in a quagmire my friend. One of awareness

10) I don't have a television. Neil told us to get off our couches and turn off our MTV's. So I did,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home